All legal advice sessions are free and confidential, however due to resource limitations there is a maximum of 30 minutes for each consultation.
To get the most out of your session we advise the following:
- Organise your documents. The best way to do this is to arrange them in date order.
- Write your story in a page or two and bring it with you. This is to ensure that you cover all essential matters. A typed document is best. Your story should also be organised by date.
- On a separate page write down all the questions you have for the lawyer.
What you can expect from CQCLC:
- We will respect your right to privacy and confidentiality
- We will respect you and your culture
- We will discuss your problem and help you to understand and make decisions about your legal options
- We will provide accurate and appropriate information and advice within our areas of expertise
- We will provide you with information about other services that may assist you
- We will provide advice in plain language you can understand
- We will give you choices about what you can do
- We will provide information to help you decide what you want to do
- We will work through an interpreter where appropriate
What CQCLC cannot do:
- Our time is limited, so we cannot spend more time with you than has been allocated
- We cannot fill out forms for you, but we will check those you have filled out yourself
- We cannot give advice to more than one party in a dispute
- We cannot prepare wills
- We cannot give financial advice or advice on a personal injury, commercial matters, taxation, immigration, native title or complex matters requiring specialist advice
- We cannot fix every problem you have
- We cannot always say for sure what will happen
- We cannot always do what you want to do
- We may not be able to represent you in court